Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hot Under the Collar (June 28, 2007)

Hot Under the Collar
by Holly Vicente Robaina
Trying to make sense of the environmental debate

June 28, 2007
Feel a bit warmer lately? Scientists worldwide say planet Earth is getting pretty hot due to global warming. But while there's widespread conviction that global warming is real, there's heated debate over how to solve the problem - most noticeably among Christian leaders. Earlier this month, several of them testified before the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, expressing deeply divided thoughts on the issue.

Over the past year, two groups of feuding evangelicals have loudly proclaimed their opinions about global warming. Both groups held press conferences, made public statements, and sent letters to top government officials. Their battle has drawn extensive news coverage, including in a PBS special report, "Is God Green?" Further, an evangelical leader from one camp drew accusations of defaming PBS journalist Bill Moyers. Whew - it's getting pretty hot, all right!

Both sides in this evangelical brawl have climate experts and research data to support their claims. On one side is the Evangelical Climate Initiative (ECI), whose supporters include Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life; Leith Anderson, president of the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE); Jim Wallis, editor of Sojourners magazine; Bill Hybels, pastor of Willow Creek Community Church; and four members of the Christianity Today magazine staff. The ECI believes human activities cause climate changes and advocates the immediate reduction of carbon emissions that result from burning fossil fuels. They're asking U.S. leaders to pass laws requiring businesses to reduce emissions, and calling on churches and individuals to purchase energy-efficient appliances and vehicles. They're essentially saying, Be proactive. Measures taken today will lessen the potentially devastating effects of global warming in the future.

On the other side is the Cornwall Alliance for the Stewardship of Creation, formerly the Interfaith Stewardship Alliance. Backed by James Dobson, chairman of Focus on the Family, and Chuck Colson, chairman of Prison Fellowship Ministries, the Cornwall Alliance also acknowledges the problem of global warming. But it believes natural factors - not human activities - may be the primary cause. Human emissions of carbon dioxide "are probably a minor and possibly insignificant contributor" to global warming, they say. Additionally, the Cornwall Alliance believes that if world governments call for mandatory reduction of fossil fuel use, gas prices will rise and economic development in poor countries will slow, creating a far worse situation for the poor than any negative effects global warming could create. And, they suggest, there may be benefits from global warming scientists don't yet realize. They're essentially saying, Be prudent. Study this thoroughly before acting, because hasty actions might cause bigger problems.

Noticing both camps' supporters represent a literal who's who in evangelical Christianity, I wondered, Do I choose Rick Warren's opinion over James Dobson's? The NAE president over the founder of Prison Fellowship Ministries? Do I choose to be prudent or proactive - especially with global destruction on the line? As I sifted through the jargon and fluff of both arguments, I decided both have strengths and weaknesses.

Then I asked myself the more important questions: What can I do personally? And why would I do these things? Two concepts offer me clarity: simplicity and stewardship. Simplicity, or simple living, says, I don't need a new wardrobe every season to feel pretty. I don't need to leave every light on in my house to feel safe. I don't need to drive a gas-guzzling SUV to feel empowered. Hmm, if I realize I don't need those things to feel good about myself, maybe I'll look to God more often for my value. Stewardship similarly says, Spending less on clothing saves money. Turning lights off or using energy-efficient bulbs saves money. Driving a fuel-efficient car saves money. Hey, with all that extra money, I could give more to my church, treat a stressed-out girlfriend to a movie, or buy lunch for the homeless person on the corner.

I'm not alone in this world. God wants me to interact with people and to remember my choices impact others. Everything I have is on loan. My money and resources are gifts from God to be used wisely. Simplicity and stewardship are good choices, regardless of whether my efforts affect the climate.

At some point, I may need to take sides on the issue of global warming. Perhaps I'll have to decide whether to sign a petition or how to vote on a proposition. Until then, I'm not going to hide in my house, feeling too guilty to drive or to toss anything into the trash. And I'm not going to throw everything into one garbage bag because doing so is more convenient than separating recyclable items, either. I'll do all I can to make less mess in God's creation, remembering he gave it to all his children to use - not just me.

You can live more simply - and just maybe help the Earth - in plenty of easy ways, such as washing your clothes in cold water instead of hot, keeping your car tires properly inflated, and paying your bills online instead of sending paper checks. When you reduce, reuse, recycle - that's being both prudent and proactive.

Blessings,
Holly

What do you think about global warming? And in what ways are you trying to reduce, reuse, or recycle?

No comments: